iMessage 7 Search Article

Friday, December 23, 2011

Installed iOS 5.0.1 now WiFi won't connect

Installed iOS 5.0.1 now WiFi won't connect

Ask :
My 6 month old iPhone 4 has been having problems locating my home WiFi for the past few days.
It locates every other WiFi network outside of my house, but inside it can only find my neighbours, and with lower signal strength than usual.
At my school it has no problems finding and connecting to the free WiFi there.
My family's iPad's and our macbook pro's have no trouble connecting to the WiFi so it is probably not a problem with the router.
I've tried everything, I've turned WiFi on and off, reset network settings, reset the phone itself, all with no success.

Please help me guys, I need WiFi!
Answer :
I too am having the same issue with iOS5.0.1. I've not tried tweaking the router, but why should I have to? iPhone WiFi worked before the update and now it can't find the network intermittently. My gut tells me in trying to address the battery issue, they are limiting power to the WiFi chip and that's interferring with the phone being able to "see" available networks. In my case, I can be right on top of the router and I only get the spinning dial. I also get multiple lock-ups that require a hard reboot. Last night I had to do 3 reboots in an hour.

I tried all the reccomended solutions including seting the iphone to use a static ip address and dns etc... no change. BUT, Tonight I kept trying different settings on the router and found that by changing the 2.4ghz radio from n+g, to g only, then back to n+g somehow fixed the problem (at least so far). So it seems to be some kind of compatibility problem when using the n+g mixed mode on the AP. Keep in mind that all my ohter wifi devices continued to connect just fine before I toggled the router settings. In my case, the router is a Cisco/Linksys wrt600n router running DD-WRT firmware v24-sp2 (08/07/10) mega (SVN revision 14896)...

Disscuss This Topic at Apple Forum

Followers