iMessage 7 Search Article

Friday, December 23, 2011

What happens when you connect an ipod to a clean install

What happens when you connect an ipod to a clean install.

Ask :
I was thinking of doing a clean install which would, of course, format my harddrive when I installed Snow Leopard. However, I've currently got a ton of music, notes, and appointments on my ipod touch (2nd gen, I believe). What is going to happen to this stuff when I connect it to my clean installed mac? Will all of the stuff on the ipod sync to the new install or will it get deleted from the ipod? I've got the music backed up so that's not a big deal. I just don't want all of my notes and appointments to get erased.
Answer :
Connecting to a new computer or iTunes will always erase the device first. Back up manually before by right clicking on the iPod in the device list and choosing "backup". A manual backup does not include the sync process. You can use this backup to restore from after your iPod got wiped during the first sync.
Transfer your purchases the same way and make sure to have at least one contact and event listed on your Mac, to be able to merge data.

See also iTunes: About iOS backups to get more info about the content of a backup, and How to back up your data and set up as a new device , if you want to know more about saving info from the iPod before setting it up in iTunes.
Disscuss This Topic at Apple Forum

Followers